How to Apply
»»»»»»»»Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply for admission to UHCC?

The University of Hawai’i Community Colleges System (UHCC) comprises seven individually accredited community colleges. There are several ways to apply:


    Apply online for any one of the University of Hawai‘i Community Colleges.

Apply Online Online Application Form

For more details on the application process of each individual community college, click on the home page of the campus you are most likely to attend and go to its Admissions and Enrollment page.

Hawai'i Community College
Honolulu Community College
Kapi'olani Community College
Kaua'i Community College
Leeward Community College
Maui Community College
Windward Community College

2. I am currently attending a UH community college, but would like to take a class at another community college within the UH System. Do I need to complete a separate Application for Admission to each community college campus I wish to take classes?

No. Only one application is needed to apply at your “home campus.” Students may attend classes at any community college campuses within the system by registering through the Student Information System called “MyUH.”

3. I attend another college/university that is not part of the UH System, and want to take just one course during the summer semester. Do I need to complete an Application for Admission?

Yes. You will also need to meet any prerequisites that the course requires, so be sure to have a transcript with you at the time of advisement and registration. If you plan to transfer your credits to your home university, you should also have a letter from the university stating that the credits will be accepted toward your degree.

4. When should I apply?

You should apply as soon as you know you will be attending college. Most classes start in mid-August (Fall Semester) or mid-January (Spring Semester). Some classes have accelerated classes during the winter break (December-January), and summer sessions that begin in mid-May through June and July.

5. Do I need to take a college placement test?

Academic assessment and placement testing is required for most students.


  1. If you are a new student with no previous college experience.
  2. If your COMPASS Placement Test scores are more than two years old and you have not completed an English or math course in the University of Hawai’i System.


  1. If your COMPASS Placement Test scores are less than two years old.
  2. If you have completed an English, ESL, or math course with a grade of “C” or higher in the University of Hawai’i System. Note: math courses need to be completed within the two-year limit.
  3. If you have earned a passing grade for English and Math at a college outside of the University of Hawai’i System.

At the UH Community Colleges, students will take the COMPASS placement test, a Computerized Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System placement test that will place you into the appropriate English and/or math course that best suits you.
Since the University of Hawai’i Community Colleges all use the COMPASS Placement Tests as their placement tool, your scores can be used at any of the other community colleges.

6. Can I take classes while I am still in high school?

Yes. UH Community Colleges offer current high school students the Early Admission or Running Start programs.

Go to Getting Started > I’m a current high school student for more details.

7. What is the cost of tuition at the UH Community Colleges?

Tuition charged at the UH Community Colleges is by the credit hour. For example, the tuition for Fall 2012 is $120 per credit hour for Hawai'i residents, and $328 per credit hour for non-residents. (Non-resident tuition fee may vary by campus, so check with the individual college's tuition schedule for details.) Normally, college classes are three credit hours. Therefore, a three credit hour class for a Hawai'i resident will cost $360 plus any additional fees for special, professional programs.

Click here for the most current UH System Tuition and Fees. Or use the Net Calculator to get a realistic cost estimate for your college education at the community colleges.

8. How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Go to Paying for College for details on how to apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and other tips.

9. How do I register for classes?

  1. First-time student
  2. You will need to be admitted at community college within the UH System before you can enroll in classes.

    If you have been admitted, please review the registration tutorial at MyUH Registration site.

  3. Transfer student
  4. You are considered a transfer student if you have completed a college credit at another institution and have never attended a campus within the University of Hawai’i System. You must apply for admission before registering for classes.

    If you have been admitted, please review the registration tutorial at MyUH Registration site.

  5. Continuing student

If you attended any campus of the University of Hawai’i system in the previous semester (Spring or Fall; excluding summer or winter sessions), you may use MyUH Registration portal site to enroll in classes. Remember to check dates and deadlines for registration times and fee payments.

10. Do I need to re-apply if I took a semester off?

If you did not attend a University of Hawai’i campus in the previous spring or fall semester (summer and winter sessions are excluded), then you must reapply for admission before you may register for classes. You are no longer considered a continuing student.

11. How do I transfer from another college?

If you have completed college credit from another institution and have never attended a college within the UH System before, you will need to do the following:

  1. Complete the University of Hawai’i Application form and submit it to the campus you’re planning to attend.
  2. Request your transcripts to be sent to the Admissions Office of the campus you’re planning to attend. The transcripts must be sent directly from the sending institution. Hand-carried, sealed or faxed transcripts are not accepted.
  3. Submit the Transcript Evaluation Request Form to have your transcripts evaluated, including UH system transcripts, if applicable.

Each community college has a similar process in place. It is highly recommended that you call an academic advisor or visit the website of the campus you’re planning to attend.

You may also use the UH Transfer Credit Search website as a guide to evaluate general education credits. For more information, click on the following web pages:
I’m returning to college or am transferring
I’m transferring within the UH System



top of page