Japanese Government Scholarship to Study in Japan for Three Years
The Monbukagakusho (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology) in Japan offers a unique scholarship opportunity for students who wish to study at a Japanese senshu-gakko (specialized training college). The scholarship includes one year of intensive Japanese language study and two years of specialized training in a chosen field, from April 2020 to March 2024 at a selected senshu-gakko. Tuition, housing and airfare are covered and awardees are provided a monthly stipend.
UHCC students who successfully completed Japanese 101, English 100, Math 100 and are interested in one of the areas of study below are encouraged to apply. Eligible applicants will be required to take English, Math, and Japanese exams on O'ahu. (Proficiency in Japanese is not a requirement, but is very helpful.) Applicants who pass the written exams will be interviewed. Up to three students from Hawai'i may be nominated to Monbukagakusho in Tokyo, Japan. Monbukagakusho will review nominees worldwide and announce the names of those conditionally accepted in December 2020.
|Areas of Study|
|1. Architecture & Civil Engineering||7. Early Childhood Education||13. Music|
|2. Electrical & Electronic Engineering||8. Nursing||14. Art|
|3. Wireless Communication||9. Social Work||15. Design|
|4. Computer||10. Management||16. Photography|
|5. Information Processing||11. Travel||17. Nutrition|
|6. Fashion & Home Economics||12. Business||18. Culinary Arts|
|19. Other Fields|
Dates: April 2021 – March 2024 (three years)
Eligibility (must be met at the time of application):
- U.S. citizen (non-U.S. citizens must apply in their country of origin)
- High school graduate or GED recipient
- 17 – 21 years old as of April 1, 2021 (born between April 2, 1999 and April 1, 2004)
- Able to leave for and arrive in Japan between April 1 – 7, 2021
- Service members or civilian employees on active military list when scholarship period begins
- Grantees of a scholarship provided by an organization other than Monbukagakusho (including a government organization of home/another country) for the period April 2020 – March 2023
- Previous recipients of a Japanese government scholarship (unless more than three years have passed since the first day of the month following the final payment of the previous scholarship as of April 1, 2020)
- Students currently enrolled at a Japanese university (unless will be completing course of study and returning to home country before the end of 2019)
How to Apply: Apply Online (deadline: March 2, 2020 at 4:00pm HST).
Applications will be accepted beginning November 1, 2019.
***Exams and Interviews for finalists will be held in person on O'ahu in July 2020***Questions: James Balicao,
(808) 956-3855 or firstname.lastname@example.org