Paying for College » Tips for (FAFSA)

Tips for completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Tips for completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

  1. Make sure to include your community college's school code.
  2. Make sure to sign your application or include your PIN and your parent's PIN.
  3. Keep a copy for your records.

FAFSA School Codes

  Hawai'i ----- 005258
  Honolulu ---- 001612
  Kapi'olani -- 001613
  Kaua'i ------ 001614
  Leeward ----- 004549
  Maui -------- 001615
  Windward ---- 010390

Obtaining a high school transcript for financial aid
Ask your high school registrar to send a copy of your high school transcript to the college financial aid office. Bring the address of the financial aid office with you. Depending on your high school, you may have to pay a small fee for having your transcript sent, or you may need to provide a stamped envelope addressed to the community college financial aid office.

Important dates to remember

Important dates to remember!

April 1 - Important date to remember!

Your application will be considered “complete” when all requested documents are received by the financial aid office at your community college. To ensure that you will be awarded financial aid that is disbursed by the start of school, you must submit a completed application by the priority date April 1; otherwise, completed applications are considered on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are depleted. If you are considering more than one campus, you should apply to each campus and include the campus code for each campus on your FAFSA (Note: Applications need to be filed every year).

Eligibility requirements

Eligibility requirements

Federal, state and institutional policies regulate financial aid programs. The following are basic eligibility requirements for financial aid that have been established by these policies:

  • Complete a University of Hawai‘i system application and be accepted or enrolled as a classified student seeking a degree or certificate at your community college.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security Number.
  • Must have either a high school diploma, a GED certificate, or have qualifying scores on the Ability-To-Benefit test (a test administered by your community college) before entering college.
  • Must make satisfactory academic progress in your college courses [e.g. maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.0] and earn the proper amount of credits required.
  • Register with Selective Service, if male between 18 and 25.
  • Must file the appropriate documents.

(BETA Testing) UH Community Colleges Mobile