Sexual Misconduct Resources
»»»»»»»»Title IX

FAQ's for Respondents/The Accused

What do I do if I am accused of sexual violence and/or sexual misconduct?

DO NOT contact the victim (complainant). You may want to speak with someone in the campus community who can act as your support person. Your Title IX Coordinator can explain the college's grievance procedures for addressing sexual misconduct complaints. You may also want to seek confidential counseling or seek support through off campus services in the community.

What if, anything will my parents be told?

The college's primary relationship is to you, the student, and not to your parent/guardian. College officials will only speak with your parents/guardians at your request or when there is a significant threat to your health or safety.

Can I be charged with something on campus and off campus?

Yes, complainants have the right to pursue both campus resolution of a complaint as well as civil and/or criminal resolution. It is up to the complainant to decide how they want to proceed. The colleges' processes will move forward regardless if there is criminal or civil legal action taken regarding the same incident.

Can I have someone with me through college grievance proceedings?

You may have a support person be present during the University's proceedings in an advisory and supportive manner.

What else should I be thinking about as this situation moves forward?

The University of Hawai'i Community College System prohibits retaliation in any way against an individual or group because the individual or group has reported an allegation of sexual harassment or sexual violence or has participated in a grievance proceeding in response to such an allegation. The University of Hawai'i Community College System recognizes retaliation can take many forms, may be committed by an individual or group against an individual or group, and that a respondent can also be the subject of retaliation. The University of Hawai'i Community College System will take prompt and responsive action to any report of retaliation and may pursue disciplinary or other action as appropriate. Be mindful of your actions and behavior and avoid all direct and indirect contact with the complainant until the matter is resolved.

top of page