Sexual Misconduct Resources
»»»»»»»»Title IX

Reporting an Incident

If you experience sexual misconduct of any kind, you are likely to have many concerns and questions, including what your options are for reporting and responding to the incident. Friends and family members may have strong feelings about what you should do, but there is no right or wrong way to respond. Whatever you choose, it is important that you do what makes you comfortable.

There are a number of reporting options available to you. It is important to understand that choosing one option does not preclude you from pursuing another option now or in the future. Your Title IX Coordinator can discuss your various options with you.

Confidential Reporting Resources

An individual who wishes for the details of an incident to remain completely confidential may speak with certain College officials who, by law, must maintain confidentiality and may not disclose the details of an incident, except as required by law. These officials are included as Confidential Resources.

Please note, some individuals may be required to report statistical information only, no personally identifiable information, in order for the College's to comply with crime reporting laws such as the Clery Act. In addition, individuals may also seek support from a local or national crisis hotline.

On Campus Reporting

If you would like to pursue resolution on campus you should speak with your Title IX Coordinator for information about procedures, support resources, and interim measures. The University's policy and grievance procedures can be found here as well as the flowchart for students.

Off Campus Reporting

You are encouraged to pursue all of your options for responding to and resolving a complaint of sexual misconduct, both on and off campus. You are encouraged to report potentially criminal activity to the police. Both on and off campus options can be pursued simultaneously now or in the future.

Reporting Potential Criminal Violations to the Police: In cases involving potential criminal misconduct, individuals are encouraged to file a report with the police department, which has jurisdiction over the location where the incident occurred. If the conduct is reported to one of the colleges, the college will inform the individual of their right to file a police report and will provide assistance in doing so if the individual wishes for assistance. In certain instances, the college may need to report conduct to law enforcement authorities even when the subject of the conduct has not done so. Such circumstances include when the subject of the conduct is a minor (under the age of 18), when there is clear and imminent danger or risk to the individual and/or the college community, and/or when a weapon may be involved. The decision to report an incident to law enforcement will be shared with the complainant. If you would like assistance in reporting an assault to the police, contact your Title IX Coordinator or Campus Safety.

The colleges' grievance procedures and the legal system work independently from one another and the colleges will proceed with its process, regardless of action or inaction by outside authorities. If a police investigation is initiated, the colleges will pause an investigation briefly at the request of the police to facilitate their initial evidence gathering. Decisions made or sanctions imposed by one of the college's grievance procedures are not subject to change because criminal or civil charges, which arise from the same conduct are dismissed, reduced, or rejected in favor of or against the respondent.

Reporting to State and Federal Enforcement Agencies: In addition to the College's internal remedies, employees and students should also be aware that the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission investigates and prosecutes complaints of prohibited harassment and discrimination in employment.

Hawai'i Civil Rights Commission
830 Punchbowl St., Room 411
Honolulu, HI 96813
O'ahu: (808) 586-8636
Kaua'i:(808) 274-3141
Maui:(808) 984-2400
Hawai'i:(808) 974-4000

Reporting to the Police:
Emergencies: dial 9-1-1

Honolulu Police Department
(808) 529-3111 (non-emergency number)
801 South Beretania Street
Honolulu, HI 96813

Hawai'i Police Department
(808) 935-3311
349 Kapiolani Street
Hilo, Hawaii 96720

Kaua'i Police Department
(808) 241-1711
3990 Kaana Street, Suite 200
Lihue, HI 96766

Maui Police Department
(808) 244-6400
55 Mahalani Street
Wailuku, HI 96793

Students also have the right to file a formal complaint with the United States Department of Education:
Seattle Office
Office for Civil Rights
915 Second Avenue Room 3310
Seattle, WA 98174-1099
Telephone: 206-607-1600

top of page