Financial Aid

Financial Aid Eligibility

All UH campuses use the U.S. Department of Education's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for federal and most campus-based financial aid programs.

To be eligible for financial aid you will need to meet these requirements:

  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen;
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federal States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau);
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent;
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program;
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress at the enrolled UH campus;
  • Not receive financial aid at two schools during the same semester.
  • Not be in default on a federal loan or owe a refund of a federal Grant.

* The Title IV Consolidation Appropriation Act of 2012 limits Federal Pell Grant payments to six (6) years (12 semesters). Students who have exceeded this time frame are no longer eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. More information on the Federal Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used law can be found at the Federal Student Aid Website.

Things That May Impact Your Financial Aid Award

Once you receive financial aid, all of the following may impact your financial aid award:

  • Classes that you choose. Financial Aid can only be awarded for classes that apply to your major/program requirements. (Course Program of Study)
  • Number of credits you take. Awards are generally based on full-time enrollment (12 credits or greater). Your financial aid may be reduced if you are taking less credits.
  • Attendance. If you do not begin attendance or you drop classes after you get your financial aid, you may owe back money. (Participation Verification)
  • If you receive other financial resources. You must inform your Financial Aid Office if you receive scholarships or grants from another program or organization. An adjustment to your financial aid may be needed.
  • Grades and withdrawals. You must maintain good academic standing (Satisfactory Academic Progress).
    • Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
    • Complete at least 67% of your total credits attempted
    • Complete your degree within the Maximum Time Frame
  • Not completing your courses or stopping attendance (Official or Unofficial Withdrawal). If you completely withdraw from your classes or you stop attending and fail to earn a passing grade, you may owe back money (Return to Title IV Funds).