Financial Aid

Financial Aid Policies

Financial aid applicants have the right to:

  • Be informed about financial aid application procedures, cost of attendance, aid availability, and renewal requirements.
  • Confidential protection of your financial aid records. The contents of your file are maintained in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
  • Appeal decisions made by the Financial Aid Office staff. Appeals should be submitted to the appropriate offices.

You have the responsibility to:

  • Complete applications accurately and on time.
  • Read and understand all materials sent to you from the Financial Aid Office and other agencies.
  • Keep copies of all forms and materials submitted.
  • Know and comply with the rules governing your aid programs.
  • Comply with the provisions of any promissory note and all other agreements you sign.
  • Inform the Financial Aid Office of any outside resources you have or will be receiving.
  • Register for the number of credits required and maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Request personal assistance if you have questions or don’t understand the information provided to you.
  • Use the financial aid award for school expenses, tuition and fees; room and board; books and supplies; and transportation.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy (Revised UHCC policy will be effective 2021-22)

Federal financial aid recipients must be making academic progress towards their degree in order to maintain financial aid eligibility.

Follow these steps to review your Financial Aid status on the MyUH Portal:

  • Log into your MyUH Portal at
  • Click “Financial Aid” on left hand menu
  • Click “Academic Progress”
  • Select your home campus and the appropriate school year (i.e. Leeward CC 20xx-xx)
    and click ‘Submit’
  • Review your current academic status at the top of the page
Minimum Standards
  • GPA: Maintain cumulative 2.00 home campus GPA
  • Completion Rate: Complete at least 67% of cumulative attempted coursework
  • Maximum Timeframe: Graduate within a set number of credits, or timeframe, and take credits required for your degree. Once you graduate or exceed the maximum timeframe for your degree, you may no longer be eligible for financial aid. If you have already completed an Associates degree and wish to pursue another degree at the same campus, you may continue getting financial aid for a subsequent degree. Contact your campus Financial Aid Office for procedures.

Failure to Meet Minimum Standards (GPA and/or Completion Rate)
  • If you fail to earn a cumulative 2.00 and/or complete at least 67% of your cumulative coursework, you will be ineligible for financial aid. You can reapply for financial aid once you have brought your academic standing to the minimum standards above.
  • Students can appeal their suspension status in certain situations:
    • If there were unusual/extraordinary circumstances that caused you to fall below academic standards; circumstances beyond your control; and
    • If you have taken measures to improve your situation or you can show that you have improved your grades
  • Contact your campus Financial Aid Office for instructions. Please note: Under federal guidelines, there will be certain situations where the Financial Aid Office may not be able to consider your appeal. Each case is individual and will depend on a review of your entire academic history at the college.

For more information on your home campus Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, please visit their website.

Official and Unofficial Withdrawal

When a student who is receiving financial aid from a campus partially withdraws, completely withdraws or stops attending classes, a revision is made to their financial aid award. It is the student’s responsibility to follow the official withdrawal process and to contact the Financial Aid Office of any changes made to their enrollment status, as it does affect their financial aid. View the campuses catalog for the official withdrawal process.

Official Withdrawals
  • Withdrawing from all classes during a term may result in a change in institutional charges and will change the financial aid awards for that term. Recent changes to Federal financial aid regulations have created a new Return of Title IV Funds Policy.
  • Upon withdrawing, the Financial Aid Office will do a calculation to determine how much aid a student “earned”. This is based on a pro-rated schedule of enrollment up through the 60% point in an enrollment period that shows how much aid the student and school will need to return to the Federal aid programs. Basically, it is any “unearned” aid that must be returned to the Federal aid programs; which Federal aid programs funds will need to be returned; and does the student have a post-withdrawal disbursement due to them, if so, how it will affect the student and their future eligibility.
  • Students who are considering withdrawing from classes should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss the impacts it will have on their current financial aid and future financial aid eligibility.
Unofficial Withdrawals
  • Students who cease attending all classes during a term may also be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds Policy. In all cases, official withdrawal procedures should be followed. This is based on a pro-rated schedule of enrollment up through the 60% point in an enrollment period. The calculation will show any "unearned" aid that the student and school will need to return to the federal aid programs.
  • Also, students who fail all classes during a term will be reviewed to determine if the failure was due to not attending the class. Students who have stopped attending classes before the end of the term will be treated as an unofficial withdrawal.
Review your home campus Return of Title IV Funds Policy by visiting their website: