Civil Service Employees

Civil service employees fall under the jurisdiction of the State of Hawai'i Department of Human Resources External Link icon. At the University of Hawai'i, civil service employees include: white collar nonprofessional staff such as security officers, secretaries, and other clerical personnel; blue collar personnel such as janitors, groundskeepers, and plumbers; and white collar and blue collar supervisory personnel. Employees in these occupations are not normally required to have a bachelor's degree. (BOR Reference Guide, May 2011)

Performance Appraisal System (PAS)
Most civil service employees in the State Executive Branch, including the University of Hawai'i, are evaluated using the Performance Appraisal System.

Summary for Employees PDF icon An employee's guide as to how the Performance Appraisal System works.
Supervisory Manual PDF icon The PAS supervisory manual provides guidelines for administering the State's Performance Appraisal System.

How to apply for civil service positions?
If you are a current UH employee who is a member of the state civil service and are interested in other civil service positions within the University, we welcome you to view vacancies and apply here External Link icon.

The general public may view vacancies and apply for civil service positions within the State of Hawai'i
here External Link icon.

Contact us

Send us an email

If you require an alternate format, please
contact your campus.

For inquiries regarding Hawai'i Promise, please
contact your campus financial aid officer.


Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us & get in touch.


Emergency Information

Campus Emergency Contacts
Hawai'i CC - (808) 854-1420
Honolulu CC - (808) 284-1270
Kapi'olani CC - (808) 734-9900
Kaua'i CC - (808) 212-2679
Leeward CC - (808) 455-0611
UH Maui - (808) 984-3255
Windward CC - (808) 235-7355